Upper deschutes river

Upper deschutes river
a small 13 inch rainbow

Monday, March 29, 2010

High winds with a good dowsing of rain and no fish to be had

I started my fishing day out at 10AM on the Fall with very high gusts of wind and lots of rain. Good thing I was layered up quite well. I quickly made my way to the same fishing hole I caught fish at the other day. I hooked on a nice olive green hares ear and began fishing. My first cast I landed a nice whopping hat. My second cast I landed a pretty big pine tree. The winds really weren't playing to my favor.

After the winds died down a bit I finally got my fly wet and placed it perfectly right in the hole. It felt like when you hit that 45 foot putt that you shouldn't have made. After sitting in this spot for 20 minutes and only getting a couple small hits I moved down stream right in front of the fish hatchery. Now I know what most of you are thinking. He plopped his fly right into the fish ponds! And to be honest I have thought about it on more than one occasion. There's some giant bricks in those ponds that would put up one hell of a fight.

I found a nice deep channel with about 4 descent sized lunkers that if caught I might stuff and mount on a wall. I stuck with hares year but it wasn't getting deep enough. I through on a red copper john and that seemed to get to right depth. It passed right in front of them and they didn't even budge. I changed to a caddis nymph and that also didn't seem to do the trick either. At this point I was scratching my head wondering if someone was playing a mean trick on me and planted some fake fish on the bottom. I realed in my fly and just sat there gazing at these stupid fish that I love to catch when out of no where a giant otter swam bye and snagged one of the fish and continued its fish eating journey down stream.

After sitting there for what seemed like a long time with my mouth wide open in shock I heard a tree snap in half and fall in the direction of where my truck was parked. I decided to walk back up and check out what had happened and to my surprise a tree got blown over by these crazy southern winds not more than 5 feet from my
truck!

After hooking my hat, a tree, watching a otter snag my fish, and having a tree almost total my truck I decided my day of fishing was over!!!

Well I can't wait for what next weekends fishing adventure will entail. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment