Upper deschutes river

Upper deschutes river
a small 13 inch rainbow

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Fishing the Mouth of Crooked river



I started the morning off at 8 on the upper Crooked River. It was a beautiful morning with a temperature of about 54 degrees. There was a enormous hatch of Trico's going off. It was so good every time you opened your mouth you would get a giant mouth full!!

The river was very shallow and there were lots of rocks sticking out of the water. So I spent most of the morning rock hopping and and trying to keep my nice running shoes from getting to wet! I decided not to put on my waders because I knew by noon i would be extremely hot. I could see lots of fingerlings and small fry swimming all over but I'm not after the small fish i want a whopper that's going to take me for a ride. I spent a good two hours rock hopping and not having any luck. So i picked up and moved further down the river to where Deep creek meets the Crooked River. The water was much cooler and now i was going to have to get my Adidas wet because the best part of the river was on the other side. I moved down to where there were plenty of big rocks for big fish to hide under. I tied on a Callibaetis for a while and only had a couple of bites. then i decided to go with a dark brown Caddis fly and on my second cast i had a 7 inch Rainbow, then on my forth, seventh, tenth, eleventh… by then i was getting excited but sick of getting this small trout. But where there are small trout and when they are taking that certain fly there will be a big one! I ended up connecting with a what had to of been a 13 or 14 inch trout that took my line hard and fast!! my adrenalin kicked it in and was ready to fight this SOB. when all of a sudden it turned on its side and spit the damn hook out!




I ended up catching 8 small fish for the day and not connecting with the whopper i was hoping for. That's alright though because any bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment