Upper deschutes river

Upper deschutes river
a small 13 inch rainbow

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Hosmer Lake 07-11-2010

It was a great day fishing. I started my morning out at 7. The water was perfectly flat with no wind. I could see a bunch of bugs flying all over the lake but i would have to wait till i got out there to identify them.

I used my electric motor to get to the other side . I noticed the hatch was a callibaetis hatch. I tied on a callibaetis and i started kicking my way through the channel. If you look to your side and look down you can see the fish swimming some are the size of your legs. But you will spend all day and catch nothing if you fish for the fish you can see. I started casting my fly toward the weeds, which give the fish some easy and quick hiding.

On about my tenth cast i got a nasty bite by something that probably would have eaten my arm if it got the chance. I casted back to that spot and hooked and landed a 18 inch Atlantic salmon. It gave me a pretty good fight and when you aren’t paying attention to anything but the fish your fighting and well that's it. I ended up five feet into the weeds and having a hell of a time getting myself back out.

After i got out i kept meandering through the channel till i started seeing fish jump and rise to the dead bugs on the surface. I kept casting towards the weeds and ended up hooking a 13 inch Brook Trout that was built like a football. It probably weighed 3 lbs. this time while i was watching the fish jump and pull my line i kept my eye on where i was going and kept myself out of the weeds.

I ended up fishing for another two hours with a couple bites but not hooking anything. I decided to kick my way back to the main part of the lake and fish the weeds. I still had on the same callibaetis on and as i kicked around the lake and was coming close to the boat ramp my rod just about jumped out of my hands it got hit so hard by something and my line was talking off towards the weeds. i gently tightened up on it and it stopped and turned around and darted right at me. I struggled to keep the line tight and strip my line in fast enough. I'm guessing this fish new it was caught and it was just going to come jump into the boat with me. As it got closer i could tell i had a giant on my line and it must have seen me because it turned around and darted back towards the weeds. i let it take a bunch of line. I didn't want to muscle it and risk loosing this monster. It did this whole back and forth workout 3 times and then it came in like i had a little 8 inch fish on. I got it into my net and i had landed a 20 inch Atlantic salmon that weighed an easy 6 lbs.



I had a great day and was bummed that i had forgot my camera in my truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment